The Science of Improving Lives
Pre-Qualification for Contractors to Renovate Health Facilities
A: Background: Family Health International (FHI 360) with funding from the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) is supporting the government of Nigeria (GON) to enhance sustained cross sectional integration of HIV/AIDS and TB services by budding Nigerian capacity to deliver sustainable high quality, comprehensive, prevention, treatment, care and related services in all the 36 states and the FCT. FHI 360 desires to use part of the grant to improve infrastructure, equipment and supplies in all secondary and primary health care centers supported by the SIDHAS project to provide ART & PMTCT services as bedrock for enhancing service integration and improved quality care
FHI 360 hereby solicits bids from Nigerian construction firm with competencies in infrastructure upgrades for pre-qualification to undertake required renovations of health facilities by performing functions outlined in the terms of reference below. Given the geographical spread of the sites to renovated and time constraints, at least one firm per state will be contracted to execute the project within 45 days.
B: Terms of reference for the required contractors
1. Study and interpret BOQs prepared and presented by FHI 360 or its agent.
2. Use the provided BOQs to prepare bids for all sites listed for renovation in the preferred state.
3. Carry out renovation works and provide the necessary equipment and supplies as per the approved BOQs and contract
4. Obtain concurrence from the respective HFs managers and stakeholders (state/local governments) throughout the renovation process.
5. Adhere to all agreed standards for required upgrades, equipment and supplies including quality, workmanship, costs, size and manufacturer brands for all HFs to be upgraded
6. Provide technical oversight to sub contractors or workers and ensure that renovation works meet set standards
7. Conduct regular site visits (at least once a week) to monitor the quality and progress of work and ensure that all works are completed within set timelines.
8. Ensure that the renovation processes adhere to USAID approved environment impact mitigation measures as relates to the SIDHAS cooperative agreement with FHI 360,
C: Qualifications: A reputable construction firm:
- Must have cognate experience in the construction and renovation industry of at least 10 years.
- Must demonstrate evidence of a strong design and QS unit
- Must demonstrate ability to sub contract to contractors in different states
- Must demonstrate ability to handle up to 90 projects within each state simultaneously, ability to supervise subprojects scattered in over 15 states
- Must demonstrate ability to source funds and execute projects in excess of N150m (25% of contract sum before being paid)
- Must provide documented evidence of experienced lab, electrical, mechanical, specialists
- Experience in hospital and laboratory renovation and construction is highly advantageous.
- Experience in hospital infection controls system will be required
- Must have all relevant statutory registration
- Must have a current tax clearance certificate
- The firm should have an office or branch office within the states of interest
- Must be willing and able to provide a bank guarantee to cover funds advanced by FHI 360 for the contract.
- Must be willing to accept retention of 5% of the contract value on final completion of work until six months after the work is completed, if no defects arise in the renovation work conducted
D: Key Deliverables & Expected Outputs
By the end of the assignment, the following outputs will be expected:
- Pictorial documentation of the before and after for each health facility renovated
- Provide individual report for each of the health facilities (ART and PMTCT sites) in assigned state/FCT renovated to meet the basic minimum infrastructural standards agreed with FHI 360 and state/local governments by August 31st, 2012.
- Final report of the entire contract
E: Reporting & Timing of Contract: The period of this assignment shall be between 1st July 2013 to 1st September 2013 but each contract will last not more than 45 days.
F: Payment Terms: Payment for services rendered will be first through an advance commensurate with insurance bond/bank guarantee provided abut not exceeding 50% of the contract sum and thereafter reimbursement installments based on the level of works completed and certified by the project management firm acting on behalf of FHI 360.
G: Deadline: All application (prequalification) documents must be submitted in sealed envelopes by 5.00 pm Nigeria time, on or before Friday June 15, 2013 to the Associate Director. Contracts and Grants, FHI 360 Plot 1073 J. S. Tarka Street, Garki, Area 3 P.M.B. 44, Abuja Bids submitted after the deadline aforementioned will be disregarded.
H: Contracting process: After the above deadline, FHI 360 will select qualifying contractors, provide them with BOQs for HFs in preferred states and give them one week to price the required works at each site. FHI 360 will then select the best bidders and award contracts to execute the project.